Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My First Quilt Class

In a nutshell, I discovered quilting 14 years ago, when a friend (thanks Kim Lemoine - you started all of this!!) suggested I take a class taught by the best - Laura Knownes and Diana McCluun, authors of Quilts, Quilts, Quilts. - Love their books - still use them for reference. Well, I signed up at Thimble Creek Quilt Shop (Now, my home away from home...) and ended up with Diana's daughter teaching the class with visits from Laura. It was a fabulous class. I fell in love with Thimble Creek and the staff. I learned so much, but had absolutely no time to take advantage of everything I learned. I was so busy with 2 small kids, a very exuberant lab puppy, a hard working husband and I seemed to be falling into the trap of volunteering for everything under the sun. Quilting would just have to wait.... I had laundry to do.

Embarrasing Moment
I had completed the first 3-4 classes of Learn to Quilt, (trying so hard to make my blocks look remotely like the samples) when I realized that quilting thread was not what you were supposed to use for machine piecing - no wonder my blocks were so wonky!! None of them would lay flat with all that thread! I was so embarrassed, I never told a soul about it until now!!

No comments: