Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Healing Hands Quilt

One of my dearest friends is battling breast cancer right now. She is tough, I know she will beat this. But I felt that I had to do all I could to help her through this, so, I decided to enlist her many friends and family to help me with a "healing hands" quilt. Each person traced their hand on paper, wrote a special note to Jodi and chose a fabric to use. I then transferred the handprint to the fabric and wrote the notes inbetween the fingers of each hand. At this point, it took on a life of it's own. My quilt group had lots of wonderful ideas on using variegated thread, a different applique stitch for each hand and creative quilting. I spent a lot of time quilting this one - channel quilting, stippling, some free motion leaves... and in the very center I quilted her initial - J! I was so pleased with the way it turned out.
Jodi loved it and was very touched by all the lovely notes from friends and family. Now she can get a hug from those that love her - any time she pleases!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

You are so awesome Pati. You can see the love in the quilt. Best wishes to Jodi, she is a obviously a very special person.

Robin said...

That quilt turned out wonderfully!
Robin