Sunday, November 9, 2008

I don't usually get terribly political, but I just have to say thank you to all that voted this week. What an amazing thing to see such a change in our attitudes towards the voting process. Having an 18 year old made me especially proud to see the transformation we have gone through. I am not sure I even voted the first few times I was old enough. Now - well lets just say there was a lot of 18 year old passion and excitement happening, along with the rest of the country. I called Daniel at UCSC after the announcement that Obama had won and there was so much cheering in the background, you would have sworn that it was New Year's Eve. What an exciting moment for first time voters!

Being a Bay Area babe, I do have to say it was a bittersweet moment, though. While we were celebrating the Presidential race, the fight against Prop 8 was slowly losing. What a heartbreak. It saddens me to know that there are so many couples that are denied the opportunity to make their commitment official - all because of a genetic difference they were blessed with at birth. We should be celebrating these differences and the fact that they have found someone they want to share their life with, and yet, we continue to punish them and exclude them from a natural path that the rest of society takes for granted. As I said earlier, election day was bittersweet for me. Two steps forward for Obama, one giant step back on Prop 8.

No comments: