Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cranberries with Port

I Love Cranberries. Not sure why - always have and always will. Obviously, the color red is part of it. But, there is definitely something more to it. It is that sweet/sour taste that just screams holiday season to me. Kinda like tofu, it adapts to whatever flavors you want to add to it. Whether it is poured on your turkey leftovers when the gravy is all gone, chopped up in a morning scone to keep your latte company, or strung together to adorn your Noble Fir - it shouts, "happy, cheerful, put a smile on your face cuz the holiday season has arrived!"

If you start to get the Post Thanksgiving Blues, pick up a couple of bags of cranberries before they are sold out and make this yummy recipe to slather on your next roasted pork tenderloin. It will cheer you up in no time.

Pati's Port Cranberries
2 bags fresh cranberries, rinsed. Remove any bad ones.
1-2 cups sugar, depending on you sweetness preference.
1 Tsp cinnamon - ok, I really just shake in a bunch.
1 Tsp nutmeg or so
4 whole cloves
1 cup water
1/2 fresh orange juice
zest of one orange
1/4 - 1/2 cup port, depending on your alcohol preference.
Dissolve sugar, spices, water and orange juice in large pot. Add cranberries and zest. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes or until all berries have popped. Remove from heat and pour into a heat resistant bowl. Add port to taste. Cool and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Enjoy! This is one of my favorites!

2 comments:

Loida Alegre Catering said...

I also love the red little cranberries, but it's been a new item on my repetorie........I use simple syrup (1:1 water to sugar), cranberries, and one whole jar of orange marmalade....I've been using it over vanilla ice cream and honey!

Pati Fried said...

That sounds amazing. I think you need to fly up here and make it for me!! Miss ya girl!